I AM VON ALEXANDER LLAGA, A NEW YEAR'S SACRIFICE

 I AM VON ALEXANDER LLAGA, AN INFANT SACRIFICE:
A POEM 

A THREE-month-old baby sleeping on his crib was killed by a stray bullet during the New Year revelry in Caoayan town, Ilocos Sur province. The infant, Von Alexander Llagas, was hit in the head and died while being treated in hospital. Last year, Stephanie Nicole Ella, 7, died after being hit by a stray bullet while watching fireworks with her family in Caloocan City. – Manila Times, Jan 1, 2014

I am Von, an infant sacrifice.
In this child's body is the grave

Of gun's bullet, its trigger
Pulled by a sibling of a madman.

I am at my crib, in the coziness of morning
In the space between silence and noise.

Here, behind these boisterous bruisers,
I am on the lap of a newborn's swing.

I wait for the coming of high noon
And with the cockcrow comes plenitude

On my parents' table, and there would be resignation
On my taking the first baby steps if I could.

Many angels keep me company now,
And forever we play what seems to me joy.

Now I bid you goodbye, do not ask me
To bring a drop of tear and a dirge to make

My leaving lighter, my carry-on baggage
of prayer for food I will give back right after.

Hon, HI/Jan 01, 2014

No comments: